If a donor uses a bank that is not set up on Plaid yet, they can still set up a recurring donation using ACH through Stripe by authenticating the bank account in a different way. Plaid doesn't do the ACH processing; they only authenticate the bank account in real time. Stripe actually does the ACH processing.
Here's how to set up ACH without Plaid:
- Have your donor sign up for a recurring gift using a credit card.
- Procure the name on the account, routing number, and account number from the donor
- Go to your Stripe dashboard (https://stripe.com) and find the donor's e-mail under the Customers tab and click on it.
- Scroll down and click on the "Add Bank Account" button and enter info in the pop-up.
- Stripe will send micro-deposits to the bank account. Ask the donor to e-mail you the amounts when they see them in their account. They should show within 5 business days.
- Return to the Customer's record in Stripe and enter in the amounts to verify the account.
- E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to notify us of the update so we can make sure our records are in sync with Stripe.